[pct-l] Section D Millage via Official Sheep and Station Alternates

Halfmile list at lon.net
Sun May 16 19:42:43 CDT 2010

South Fork Campground [Detour Mile 4.8] is a nice campground with a
good creek nearby.

Once you reach  the Devils Punchbowl [detour mile 10.4] and start road
walking you will encounter mostly private land for 15 or 20 miles.
Devils Punchbowl is a county park that doesn't allow camping, but you
will probably be in the  Angeles National Forest until just before the
Devils Punchbowl county park.

77StE [Detour Mile 22.1]  is an just an unmarked dirt road at Mt Emma
Rd. Not sure if it is public or private land there, but if you go N on
the dirt road you pass through a small illegal dumping area than then
under bunch of high voltage power lines. Might be stealth camping
options in this area if you really need a camping spot. I don't know
if  the Little Rock Wash [mile 24] area is public or private land, but
it will probably have water and better camping if it's not private
land.

A few miles after Little Rock Wash you re-enter the Angles National
Forest and if I recall correctly you don't enter the burn area until
around the bottom half of the page 6 map.

The creek at mile 35.4 is in the burn area so I don't know if it would
be legal to camp there but it should be Forest Land and will probably
have water.

You are out of the burn area when you reach the BP&L road at mile 37.7
but you do pass on or near some private land around there for about
1/4 mile.

I don't know whats at the North Fork Saddle Ranger Station [detour
mile 48.1] after the fire, but I assume you will pass though a lot of
burned stuff to get there. NITRO says they do not have water at the
ranger station this year.

The KOA campground at Soledad Canyon Road is suppose to be pretty nice.

-Halfmile