[pct-l] Big Walker Pass Food Ruck Donuts

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Tue May 18 20:31:45 CDT 2010

You know, its only a few hundred yards off the trail to the campground at Walker Pass.  And if you need water there, you'll have to get off the trail there anyway.  So there is no point to avoiding the Ruck if you are lucky to be there when it happens.  The original post asking if there was healthy food wasn't that big of a deal, however some of the follow up is whining.  No whining is allowed on the PCT while hiking; go out and hike and stop whining about personal preferences in food.  Be grateful for what you find or move on.

I have to admit to becoming spoiled last year on the trail.  Due to an early injury, I fell behind the main herd and didn't encounter much trail magic until after I reached Lake Tahoe and had moved up into the herd some.  My encounter with the blessed trail magic went up after that point.  In my journal, I talked about my fall from being a wild thru-hiker into a national park type thru-hiker that had become accustomed to human food and only ate my natural diet reluctantly (think bear in my analogy).  After having a short stretch where I encountered soda every day, for the remainder of the trail, whenever I came to a road,  I was looking for a cooler and staring at any non-thruhiker expectantly.  I was embarrassed at how pathetic I had become.

-Miner