[pct-l] Follow-up to the earlier GPS discussion

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Wed May 19 11:14:48 CDT 2010

I guess you meant to send this to the whole list.

Unfortunately I'm not really current on GPS technology right now so I'm not
a good source of recommendations.  I have a several-year-old one that still
works so that's what I use when I anticipate a lot of snow.  Otherwise I
don't bother.

Just to reiterate the point I was trying to make: a GPS is really nice to
have when snow covers the trail, but it's not mandatory equipment.  Bring
one if it'll make you feel more comfortable, but ask yourself what you'll do
if you drop it in a creek or forget to turn it off and run out the
batteries, or whatever.  Be sure to be proficient with a map and compass,
too.

Eric