[pct-l] New fire rings

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed May 19 22:40:35 CDT 2010

During my 5 1/2 months riding the PCT between Mexico and Canada I mostly lived on the trail and only made two wood fires.  Both were in existing fire rings.  In both cases it was so I could cook a nice trout. One of those was at camp Ah-De-Na on Section O - a fisherman had given me a nice trout and I had no fry-pan so I BBQ'd it. I was careful to clear all combustables from near the ring area before starting my fires. It was not windy in either case and I put the fires out with water before climbing into my bag.  Some might think that I'm overly cautious - and that's better than having to worry that I might start wildfire. Over the years, PCT users who were careless have started fires. In most cases the wind was blowing, the person was smoking, had made a wood fire or was using an alcohol stove and had a spill or it flared up when they added more fuel.  Alcohol flames are especially dangerous because you can't see them - they are
 invisable.

So, my friends, be very careful - even be "overly cautious" any time you strike a match on the PCT.  The forests are a treasure that we are privileged to be able to visit.  Please don't burn them down.

MendoRider