[pct-l] Gekko 201

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu May 20 14:38:22 CDT 2010

Good afternoon, Mags,

I certainly agree with you about UTM.  All three of my GPSs and my TOPO!
software default to UTM, and the only time I change is to enter a Lat/Lon
coordinate that someone may have provided.  Once entered, I then switch back
to UTM.

I first used maps with the Lat/Lon system but in the late ‘50s but I started
using the Military Gird Reference System (MGRS) and continued with that into
the ‘60s when I was in the Army.  MGRS is really just UTM with a different
coordinate naming protocol.

I used to really get ticked with common maps of the time:  The most
prominate coordinate system displayed was the statute system of
section/range/township which is useless unless you happen to stumble across
a survey marker.  On the map edges they had Lat/Lon markings which are
marginally useful, but only much later did they add UTM.  That’s something
that’s always aggravated me about the PCT Guidebook maps; they don’t show
anything but section/range/township, relying instead upon text descriptions.
I’m a left-brainer:  Don’t tell me what it is, tell me where it is.

I am very pleased with HalfMile’s maps and waypoints because they are in UTM
and fit my style exactly.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09