[pct-l] Follow-up to the earlier GPS discussion

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Fri May 21 19:22:46 CDT 2010

As usual, very interesting post, Steel-Eye.

I'm a long-time map and compass guy, so I'm in the habit of carrying the
folded map in my front pocket and pulling it out frequently (say, every 20
minutes) for a reality check. I usually don't stop or even slow down for
this, and don't bother orienting the map; just look at the terrain and
compare it with topo terrain.

Given the limited battery life, I'm curious about how you GPSers operate. Am
I correct in assuming that you can't just routinely leave the thing on and
follow it? What about when you're traveling across snow? Leave it on
continuously while on that terrain? Otherwise, do you flip it on only when
you think you might be off trail? Or do you do periodic checks every ___
minutes/hours? Or???