[pct-l] Planning first solo PCT hike

Grete Martinson grete.rose at gmail.com
Sun May 23 17:50:17 CDT 2010

Greetings

I'm planning my first solo hike on the PCT- Kennedy Meadows to possibly
Sierra City.  I've done plenty of long distance bush walks with friends in
Australia but none here at home and none by myself.
I've been getting a lot of "advice" from non-hikers who encourage me to take
a gun for personal protection.  I am not taking a gun because I don't want
to believe they have a place on the trail in addition to the fact that I
have no training at all and don't want to use one etc.
Basically what I'm looking for is a little reassurance from this community
that a gun is unnecessary.  I'm hoping that I will meet plenty of people
along the way and won't be hiking great distances by myself.  I'm looking
for any advice from people who know because they do! Thanks-
Happy trails to all!

~G

ps. Can you have a trail name even if you aren't a thru hiker?