[pct-l] Planning first solo PCT hike

Joel Fisler pct at fisler.ch
Sun May 23 21:29:11 CDT 2010

I have been hiking the PCT on and off since late March now and I must say that never ever have I felt so secure here in the US than on the PCT. Much more secure than on the Highways and Freeways, hehe :-) And it is so amazing the kindness you encounter! Trail Angels like the Saufleys, the Andersons, Hikertown etc. - it amazes me how much time, energy and also money they spend to help PCT hikers! - but also complete strangers stopping along the road when you try to get a ride, giving you water and/or food. All this stuff never happened to me when I was hiking back in Switzerland, people keep more to themselves over there, are less "open". You guys should be very proud of this, I have hiked in many countries all over the world (Nepal, China, Peru, New Zealand, Europe, Mexico, ...) but this is unique! No need for a gun :-)

Cant wait to get back on the PCT (but unfortunately have to work currently :-(
Joël aka Blaze
(www.pct2010.org)

On 23.05.2010, at 19:02, Grete Martinson wrote:

> I was afraid of this response from the post.  I am not carrying a gun and
> never had any intention of doing so.  I wrote this post because I've had to
> listen to a lot of people, who aren't hikers and never will be hikers tell
> me that I need to take a gun to defend myself in the big scary woods.

Joël Fisler - joel at fisler.ch - http://blog.fisler.ch

HOME:	109 Muerdago Rd., Topanga, CA 90290
PHONE:	+1 (774) 2FISLER or "joelfisler" (Skype)
CHAT:	fisler at mac.com (Messenger & iChat)