[pct-l] Planning First Solo Hike (Jim Cribari)

Wes Rose wb104475 at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 24 00:29:33 CDT 2010

I hiked with a man who insisted on carrying a 9mm Smith & Wesson on a four day hike because he
was terrified of bears.  First night he slept with his boots on in the bag and that 9mm strapped to his
hip.  We got to laughing about it by the end of the trip, especially the priceless expression of the fine
people manning the store at Florence Lake when he walks into the place packing heat.  They must
have been relieved when his first statement was, "got any beef jerky?"  My weapon of choice on the
trail is my Swiss Army Knife "classic".

The PCT is a well-used trail in a mostly-tamed wilderness.  One striking commentary on the whole
gun debate is the number of fatal attacks that have occurred in Yosemite.  With all of that parks
habituated bears and it's millions and millions of visitors, there isn't a single fatality involving bears; not
one.  As a gun enthusiast and a believer in the second amendment, my conclusion is that having
the right to bear arms doesn't always mean that one must exercise said right.  YMMV, HYOH and
all the other cool acronyms!

[pct-l] Planning First Solo Hike (Jim Cribari)
AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Sun May 23 23:50:02 CDT 2010

  a.. Previous message: [pct-l] Planning First Solo Hike (Jim Cribari)
  b.. Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]

For good or bad (and in spite of the 2nd amendment), California does not
recognize CCW permits issued by any other state, and good luck getting a CCW
in California.