[pct-l] Planning First Solo Hike

giniajim jplynch at crosslink.net
Mon May 24 10:09:29 CDT 2010

How much does a gun weigh anyway?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com
  To: pct-l at backcountry.net
  Sent: Monday, May 24, 2010 9:11 AM
  Subject: Re: [pct-l] Planning First Solo Hike

  On May 23, 2010, at 9:50 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

  > Planning First Solo Hike

  You aren't likely to be very alone on the PCT unless you hike out of
  season, and even then it would have to be an ugly boring section with
  intolerable weather so you didn't meet section hikers. I went for a
  solo hike this weekend and within half an hour had met two people who
  knew my mother. Within another hour or two I'd met another fellow. A
  few more hours I had met three more. Eventually we all ended up at
  the same campsite and several more also arrived. There was a PCTA
  work crew there so we had hot meals and a warm campfire to enjoy
  along with conversation and camaraderie on what was a windy and
  frigid night. In the morning we had breakfast in the snow showers.
  Hiking the PCT is far from a solitary existence full of scary beasts.
  I'm sure the scariest beast you'll ever meet is that guy with his
  gun, but I bet he sends it home early on in his hike. Unless he's a
  section hiker and then you probably will be able to walk through his
  radius of influence in less than an hour.

  To unsubcribe, or change options visit: