[pct-l] PCT bear attacks...........

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Mon May 24 15:46:07 CDT 2010

PCT MOM wrote:

How many PCT hikers (or other humans) have been injured or killed by bears
in the last 30 years ?

PCT hikers: none.

I researched the statistics for bear and mountain lion fatalities back in
2004.  I suppose the numbers are out of date now but still serve to make a
point.  At the time of my research, there had never been *any* documented
fatalities or serious injuries from black bears in California, ever.
Looking more broadly, there had been a grand total of 11 fatalities from
black bears in all of the lower 48 states in 103 years.  It appeared that
mountain lion fatalities were more common than bear fatalities, at least in
California (5 fatalities in 114 years in California, don't know about the
lower 48).

Needless to say these numbers are *ridiculously* low.  Compare them to the
~50,000 automobile fatalities per year in the U.S., or ~73 lightning
fatalities per year in the U.S.  PER YEAR!  Statistically, you're ~730 times
more likely to die from a lightning strike than from a black bear attack.
Think about that the next time you're pushing over a high Sierra pass in the
afternoon, trying to beat those thunderheads on the horizon.

Eric