[pct-l] PCT bear attacks...........

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Mon May 24 17:03:28 CDT 2010

Bill wrote:

> Oh, I was confused when you said:
>
> "At the time of my research, there had never been *any* documented
> fatalities or serious injuries from black bears in California, ever."
>
> The "or serious injuries" kinda through me.

Ok, now I understand what you were saying.

I got the bit about "no serious injuries" from this article: http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/bears/17275/2.  That's not a government source but the author seems to be knowledgable.  Wikipedia defines "serious bodily injury" as any injury that substantially risks death of the victim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injury).  Looking over the list of incidents on the California Fish and Game web site, none of them are specifically described as resulting in life-threatening injuries, though several of them are definitely injuries that I wouldn't want to deal with myself.

Make of that what you will.

Eric