[pct-l] WHERE'S YOUR GUN??

Roger Carpenter rogercarpenter at comcast.net
Tue May 25 00:41:21 CDT 2010

I agree totally!  Greg, they indicted a guy in Vancouver, WA who acted in
that very way, except he was doing it in a WINCO grocery store while openly
packing a gun.  Technically, he behavior was threatening, and that's where
he crossed the line that made illegal. Let's hope the "open carry" craze
does not descend upon the PCT!

On my thru-hike in 96 I carried an ice ax all the way from Campo to Manning
and I was not hassled even once (except by a fellow thru-hiker who thought I
was nuts).  A tourist near Mt Hood asked me, "what do you do with that
implement".  I responded, "it's my predator killer, animal or human"
(self-defense only, of course).  But now, I carry only hiking poles.  In
Oregon I found numerous people asking whether I would be packing.  I think
there was a history of backcountry malfeasance, especially related to
growing pot, which is an even bigger problem today.  But I doubt anyone
would set up an illegal growing operation near a trail that is used by
hundreds of people in a hiking season.
Roger Carpenter