[pct-l] Bear Encounter

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Tue May 25 19:49:19 CDT 2010

I  had a close encounter of the bear kind on my 1980 hike. If my memory serves me well, I was closing in on Soda Springs, solo at the time when I spoted a deer grazing. I stopped and was about to take off my pack to grab my camera when I noticed the dear move its head. I then saw, a short distance further, a bear rise and stand on its hind legs. What a sight!. I decided not to reach for my camera. ( Apologies to ultra lighters but I actually carried a 35 MM SLR camera and packed a zoom lens.) Like the deer, I felt being still was the smart decision at the time. After a few moments, the bear nonchalantly walked away. I had photo remorse later but eventually learned that some of the images on the PCT don't have to belong to Kodak.

Ernie Castillo
erniec01 at hotmail.com
248 884 5201