[pct-l] MTB Mindset and The Trail

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 14:50:45 CDT 2010

Dear PCT,

What you said is correct, however, I'm afraid this argument would be lost on
the general public and elected officials voting for policy.  Lengthy
arguments just kind of make people's eyes glaze over and they stop
listening.  Short sensationalistic sound bites work better to get people's
attention.  We need to make this short, sweet and something they can't argue
about; SAFETY!  I really liked Wes Rose's freeway analogy.  That is
something people can identify with.  Most people have absolutely no idea
about hiking in the back country.  We have to give them something they can
relate to.  After we have some one's attention, then we can elaborate with
the more aesthetic arguments.  Come on, SAFETY is our biggest issue anyway!
Most of us think nothing of hiking far away from humanity with minimal gear,
equipment, 30 degree sleeping bags, no tent, no one to rely on except the
strength of our bodies etc. and we don't feel like our lives are in danger.
Turning a blind corner on a narrow trail facing down a 20mph mountain bike
and we just see our lives flashing before us!

Let's decide as a group to unite behind a quick soundbite that can motivate
people who have no idea what we do!  Let me give an example.  No one cared
about what milk they drank as milk was healthy.  Then they compared drinking
a cup of whole milk to eating 9 pieces of bacon and that woke everyone up to
what we were doing to our bodies!  Instead of 9 pieces of bacon we can use
Wes Rose's idiot who is barreling down the wrong side of the freeway.  That
explains the situation quite nicely and what we as hikers face!

Keep it simple, most people are pretty apathetic.  I think this is our best
strategy for winning and educating the public.  Feel free to comment and
maybe we can come up with better or other strategies!

Melanie