[pct-l] Large PCT map file

Halfmile list at lon.net
Mon Nov 1 15:02:32 CDT 2010

Kevin,
The Forest Service has downloadable brochures with a map here:
http://www.fs.fed.us/pct/Pacific_crest_trail_brochures.html
It's not very detailed but it is vector-based so they could be
enlarged. I'm not sure it would take an 8 foot enlargement, however.

If your wife is Google Earth savvy you could download my Google Earth
.kmz file which includes my tracks and waypoints. Having a matching
set of waypoints on paper maps, gps or smartphone, and Google Earth
can be a very effective way of communicating you location. Rather than
try to explain that you are near Combs Peak, 19 miles north of Warner
Springs, you can just give them the half mile waypoint you are near
and everyone knows where you are, before most folks can even find
Warner Springs on a map. When you are in southern CA (without many
trees) they can probably even zoom in and actually see the trail you
are hiking on.

A surprising number of hikers use a SPOT messenger for this, but
that's another thing to buy, carry and a service to subscribe to.

Some AAA highway maps have the approximate location of the PCT on them
as do many Rand McNally highway atlases.

-Halfmile
www.pctmap.net