[pct-l] MTB Mindset and The Trail

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 15:34:58 CDT 2010

Nothing lengthy about it Melanie:
MTBers on the PCT and in wilderness destroy these spots for foot /
hoof borne users, plain and simple.  It's them or us.  MTBers or foot borne
users.

As far as safety is concerned - absolutely.  The different uses (MTBs versus
foot traffic) are in conflict - when both are present, it's unsafe to the foot
powered users.  As a result, foot powered users tend to avoid those areas where
MTBers are allowed / dominate (see above - them or us).

But fundamentally, keeping MTBers out of wilderness isn't about safety, it's
about aesthetics and values.  There is nothing inherently unsafe (that I can
think of off the top of my head) about a MTBer riding on a dedicated MTB trail
through the wilderness. .What it DOES do is to destroy the character of
wilderness by introducing a modern mechanical mode of transport - not to mention
the noise....the visual blight.....the speed of movement.......it destroys all
those things that make wilderness wild, the very essence of what wilderness is
supposed to be as described in the Act is ruined by MTBs.

Those who want wilderness, seek wild spaces untrammled by man.  As it was, 150
years ago.  A gaggle of gaudy MTBers, with squealing brakes, flashing through
the country side at 20 MPH is hardly a scene that Lewis and Clark would have
seen.  A solitary man, walking with a ruck on his back or riding his
horse....certainly.