[pct-l] Trail workers/thru-hikers

Hillary Schwirtlich hillary.schwirtlich at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 20:13:34 CDT 2010

I'm sure that she could have been mistaken on a few of them. But when I
asked her the same question, she said she could generally pick out a
thru-hiker after a while by the gear that they used and the way that they
looked and acted. Talking to them would prove her right or wrong, and after
a while she was usually right, especially since she recognized their gear
because she was researching for the PCT herself.

She also said the ones in front of the pack had the worst attitudes (and by
that I'm sure she meant the attitude that least matched her own towards the
trail), and that the team got the least complaints and the most gratitude
from the thru-hikers that came through in the second half of the wave.

I'm glad that you've mostly experienced grateful thru-hikers. Maybe she had
bad luck or exaggerated. I'm just sad I lost a companion for the trail.