[pct-l] Winter Hiking the Desert Section, snow concerns

Bernard Mines minesbernard at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 20:53:40 CDT 2010

Living in So Cal I'm pretty familiar with So Cal hiking in the winter, its the best season for hiking if its not raining, IMO, my concern is snow.

I'm mostly curious and a little apprehensive about the snowy sections in the desert section.  I've gone snow shoeing in Idyllwilde several times, and based on my experience there I understand the San Jacintos might be pretty deep in snow, but probably navigable, but I'm less experienced in the mountains as they go on the far side of LA, over near Big Bear and Wrightwood.

I guess what I'm really curious to hear is where I should anticipate snow.  And for what distances.

I kind of figure maybe someone on this list might have hiked it in Winter and might be able to tell me what they experienced.

I hope to be carrying the snow gear only when I anticipate the need.  Schleping snow shoes around and all the extra clothing is pretty heavy, I guess I could bounce box the equipment.  Or even negociate a friend to drop off the snow gear when and where I need it, particularly if its just a few areas.

Sincerely,

Bernard