[pct-l] Winter Hiking the Desert Section

Eugene Leafty atetuna at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 1 23:54:27 CDT 2010

I second this request for more specificity.  The fear some people express
about the desert is not based on what the trail is really like.  There are
only about 30 miles between the border and Big Bear that I'd call desert.
Sure, most of Socal doesn't get drenched in rain, but it's hardly a land of
cactus and tumbleweeds.

That said, it gets cold in the winter.  All of the trail between the border
and Apache Peak near Idyllwild should be easily passable without special
equipment.  It does get chilly.  Within a few miles of the border it can get
into the low 20's at night.  There are still illegal immigrants in that area
despite the cold.  This winter I'm going to make sure I have a good number
for the Border Patrol.  Usually I wouldn't bother, but I think it'd be
better for lightly equipped illegals to get picked up than to stay out in a
bitter cold night....one guy died a few miles from me on the night it dipped
into the low 20's on Hauser Mountain last February.

I'll be up in Idyllwild at the end of the year.  I'll be checking as much of
the trail as possible.  I'm bringing my snowshoes just in case.  Still, even
(especially?) with snowshoes I'd rather not try to strictly hike directly on
the trail in deep snow.