[pct-l] Bikes on PCT- enforcement NEEDED

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 16:30:38 CDT 2010

Hi All,

We all agree that mountain bikes on the PCT are a serious safety hazard for
other users, that their wheel tracks create channels for water to run down
causing deepening ruts and erosion, and that, by law, they are not allowed
either on the PCT or in wilderness areas. We who use the PCT, even though
wheeled vehicles are unlawful, often meet them on the trail.  There are more of
these confrontations every year.  Since there is no enforcement of the ban, and
the word is getting out among mountain bikers (and motorcycle users) that they
can go ahead and ride on the trail without consequence, we can expect that this
problem will become greater each year.  And, as we have now become aware, they
will be pushing to see the law changed so that the PCT and wilderness areas be
open to wheeled vehicles.  So long as there is no enforcement, and all we do is
deprecate their sometimes very rude, unsafe, and destructive behavior, their
numbers will increase.  Here is a question for the lawyers on this forum: If
illegal trespassing on the PCT is tolerated and it goes on for long enough, is
there a time when the "grandfather clause" might apply?

Now, beyond our confronting them, with no way of actually stopping them, what
might be done to actually put a stop to this illegal use? To go on reminding
them that they are breaking the law has no effect whatsoever.  Here are two
possible solutions that might solve the enforcement need:
1) Today it was announced on the news that our government will be cranking up
the presses again - they will print more money.  600 billion dollars!  Does
everyone realize that each of those billions is equal to 1000 million? ! ! !
Much of this money, along with more borrowed from China, will be sent away as
foreign aid.  How about dedicating a tiny portion of it to protect the PCT and
wilderness areas that are being invaded by illegal users? In cutting back the
domestic budget, many Rangers were laid off and have not been called back. $100
million dollars (just a tenth of just one of those 600 billions) would go a long
way towards hiring back some of those laid off Rangers who have lost their jobs
- and remove them from the unemployment roles. Have them enforce the law and
protect the PCT and wilderness. More signs at trailheads and at junctions of
feeder trails are needed.  The signs should state the amount of the fines and
that the trail is patrolled.  And the Rangers should patrol it, especially in
the biggest problem areas.
2) My second possible solution would be for the National Park Service and the
U.S. Forest Service to enlist volunteer BOUNTY HUNTERS. They would have to apply
and be well screened and certified for this job. There are many people out of
work. Law enforcement officers have been laid off, many people are returning
from military service. These people have already been well trained. I say, let
them hunt on straight commission, say, 100% of the fine amount. The additional
fines to cover administrative costs would come from penalties issued when
violators go to court. I think that they should hunt in pairs, be visibly armed,
have cameras, and be able to fingerprint violators. Bikes should be dismantled
and physically carried out by the violators.  Something like this would put an
end to the mountain bike problem.  I am not saying that the people who ride
their bikes on the trail should not be allowed to use the trail - they
should walk or ride horses like the rest of us.

MendoRider/Ed Anderson