[pct-l] Bikes on PCT- enforcement NEEDED

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Wed Nov 3 18:58:38 CDT 2010

I'm not a lawyer, but I used to play one on TV (live City Council meetings, actually).  What you are referring to is "adverse possession", wherein someone gains a right to land based on the unchallenged use of it for a long time.  A typical situation might be a driveway across someone else's property that non-owners use to gain access to someplace else (say a lake or park) for many years, and where the property is not posted as "private - no trespassing".  Since riding bikes on the PCT is illegal and signed thusly, I can't imagine that simply violating a law without being caught somehow would cause that law to become void.  If I drive faster than the speed limit for a year then get caught, I won't get far with the defense that "I've done it for a full year and nobody made me stop."

"Grandfather clause" describes an activity that was legal and ongoing, then became nonconforming after passage of an amendment to a law or regulation.  Here's an example - your house is 10 ft from the rear property line, which was the requirement when it was built.  Years later the City Council decides that the rear yard setback should be 20 ft and passes a zoning ordinance amendment to that effect.  Your house now does not conform to the Zoning Code, but you are protected against having to tear down and rebuild.

By the way, if anybody needs an overpriced planning & zoning consultant before hiking starts back, let me know.

Mango