[pct-l] Bikes on PCT- political statement

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Thu Nov 4 12:43:05 CDT 2010

I am as concerned as most anyone about the future of the PCT. I look at
bikes on the PCT, deteriorating California State Parks, and lots of other
issues as all being the result of a much larger problem.

Starting with the election of Regan as US President, there is a political
movement, sometimes dominant and sometimes not, to decrease the size and
scope of the Federal Government. Along with this came Reaganomics and
various tax cuts which were suppose to at least create jobs and a less
obvious purpose of reducing the Federal government.

 From the first Regan tax cuts on, funding for federal agencies such as the
Park Service and Forest Service have been cut. Result -- deteriorating
lands and less enforcement of law and regulations. So those here who
support Reagonomics and limited & reduced Federal government are getting
what they asked for!

For the rest of us, I suggest you write or visit your local US
Representative (Congress member) and state your concerns. Specific cases
and pictures will help. Probably also good to copy to the PCTA (Reigional
rep?) and the agency responsible for the area. Don't attack the agency,
express your desire for enforcement and urge funding for PCT maintenance
and enforcement.

As the saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so it's time to
start squeaking.

Tortoise

<> Because truth matters! <>