[pct-l] Bikes on PCT- enforcement NEEDED

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Nov 4 14:07:08 CDT 2010

AsABat, I completely agree with what you’re saying.  I’ve heard about the Ridge Runners on the AT, though I am not at all certain how that program works.  There are the backcountry rangers in the Sierras as an example closer to home (they get paid but it’s mostly a labor of love).   On the other side of the argument, I’ve become aware of how much paid staff time can go towards operating volunteer programs.  There are dollars involved in training volunteers and supervising them in the field, as well as providing materials and uniforms.  No doubt there has to be liability coverage, etc.  And, you can’t fire them because they are volunteers!  Devil’s advocacy aside, I personally believe there should be programs like you describe.  Though we as hikers tend to hate the reality, it all takes funding.

I also agree with Tortoise, cuts in government spending has had a huge effect on agency resources, and lack of law enforcement.  This is one of the threats to the PCT.  Even though that is true, the PCTA has managed to lobby Congress successfully  for increased funding from the USFS for trail maintenance (this is part of AHS’ “Hike the Hill” event, and is entirely volunteer self-funded).  The PCTA has gained much respect on all levels for their programs and contributions toward maintenance of the trail.  They’ve defied the odds and grown  the budget number.  But politics are fickle, who knows where the economy is going, and the threat to funding remains.

L-Rod