[pct-l] Bikes on PCT- enforcement NEEDED

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Thu Nov 4 16:19:33 CDT 2010

Hhhhmmm.......It appears they are running the  PCTA  like the government
....NEVER MIND THE COST.....we'll just raise the taxes....or, in this
case, the membership fees.

Disturbing....very disturbing.

JMT Reinhold
Your concerned trail companion
Timothy wrote:
Thank you all for taking my comments in the spirit with which they were
meant.
I love the trail. I quit, rather sold, my practice in order to hike the
trail.
A couple of additional clarifications: My thought in so far as the PCTA
is concerned is not that they have an actual existing authority of
enforcement, but they do possess moral suasion.
They mount a lobbying effort on capitol hill that if the main focus one
year was to preserve the trail from biking intrusion it could lead to
congressional pressure that would lead to a political appointee
bird-dogging this issue and having an impact.
A political solution to move forward in creating an environment where
enforcement will hopefully take place.
No guarantee, but a good chance, I think. ( Absolutely right about the
trail head being the enforcement point)
At Castle Crags this summer the PCT Campsite was renamed by the Park
Service the "PCT Hiker and PCT Biker Campsite" with campers urged to pay
their three dollar fee in order to preserve " PCT hiking and PCT biking
on the trail".
My practice was in Sacramento. I negotiated plenty of leases for my
business.
I am familiar with the property involved.
I also ( don't ask me how) know the particulars of the PCT lease in
question, or at least had the details volunteered to me, although it was
sometime ago and I didn't take especial note of them.
A dollar eighty five per square foot for the first year is
disproportionately in excess of what is available in the region and for
what is actually needed.
The justification from the executive that it is safe to take a walk at
lunchtime could have been met in virtually any other area of town at far
less cost.
Yes, I'm aware that the facility is dedicated to nonprofit organizations.
Sutter Health, the lessor, is a non profit.
I represented many nonprofits, including Sutter Health, during my career.
The term, in my opinion, is a misnomer.
High salaries seem to be the norm in my experience....a lavish facility
creates a mind set in support of this. (Next time you need a lawyer and
you're in an imposing office in a highrise with a lot of art on the
walls, take a good look around. Remember, you, as the client, are paying
extra for it)
I didn't renew my PCTA membership this year.
They won't take a check.
In addition to raising the membership fee by 20%, they want a credit
card number and will take monthly withdrawals...that seems to be a
headed in a certain direction as far as renewals and future increases
are concerned.
Rather than paying full-time positions the volunteer spirit should not
be minimized.
It just seems to me that a distancing is taking place.
Donna, you always make a lot of sense.
I just hope that the Board can get together and ask for this to become a
priority issue when lobbying in the future.