[pct-l] Womens Sleeping Bags

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Nov 4 23:29:06 CDT 2010

On Nov 4, 2010, at 7:12 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> I am planning to thru hike in 2011 and my girlfriend will be
> joining for a
> significant portion, we are trying to find her a 0 degree bag made
> specifically for women because she is a very cold sleeper.  She is
> about 5'
> 6" so part of the reason is that we were trying to steer clear of
> mens and
> unisex ones that may be too long and lose heat to the dead space.  The
> lightest I have found is about 3 lbs (Kelty Light Year), does
> anybody have a
> better suggestion?
> thanks!
>

> -Toby

She could try what I do which is to use my down jacket as a blanket
inside my 20-degree sleeping bag. I used to think I was a cold
sleeper, and maybe I still am, but a 20-degree bag was enough most
nights. I think I slept with my rain gear on once or twice as well.

At one point I learned about down pants and I think something like
that would really be nice. Then you not only have a sleep system that
is super warm but you can take the pants off if it's not so cold and
you can wear the pants before bedtime to stay warm. More versatile
for the weight.

Western Mountaineering makes both bags and down pants and other
things. They are highly recommended.
http://www.westernmountaineering.com