[pct-l] [PCT2008] Re: Wilderness Press Guides going out of print - Note from Jeff Schaffer

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Fri Nov 5 15:48:48 CDT 2010

>From Warner Springs Monty:
> Here's what I got from Wilderness Press:
>
> Wilderness Press was purchased in April 2008 by Keen Communications, which also
> owns Menasha Ridge Press and Clerisy Press. We made the wrenching decision to
> close the Wilderness Press Berkeley offices in July of this year, but the publishing
> program is continuing under the guidance of seasoned outdoor publishing professionals,
> including Mike Jones, who was formerly publisher at Wilderness Press.
>
> It was an extremely difficult decision to close that office, but we are very bullish
> on the future of Wilderness Press. We have many new titles under development. There are
> no plans to discontinue publishing the PCT guides - any rumor to that effect is
> ill-informed and incorrect. We've struggled for a number of years to determine the best
> way forward to revise the guides and maps, but there are no plans to stop publishing them.

Here's a couple of points that 'bother' me regarding the above WP 'reply'...

Who to believe, what someone at WP passes along reading very similar to a press release -
or the what author of the guidebooks said (i.e., what was he actually told by WP?)...
The 'stories' definitely don't jive!

I don't see any mention of 'updating' the guidebooks - "revise", yes, but 'revising' doesn't
necessarily include updating the contents!

Jeff gave his permission for his personal response to be used in the original posting...
'Who' from WP gave the above 'anonymous' explanation which implies that Jeff is "ill-informed
and incorrect"?

Sorry, folks, but something smells fishy here to me (especially with that form letter/press
release type of response from WP)!

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)