[pct-l] Best parts and seasons of the PCT

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Nov 5 19:58:41 CDT 2010

On Nov 5, 2010, at 3:13 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> I just finished the JMT in Sept.  I thru hiked the AT in 2007.  I
> know I
> will never hike the whole PCT as a thru hiker for many reasons but
> I'd like
> to hike the very best sections during their ideal season.  So I'd like
> recommendations from the list on your favorite sections and when is
> the best
> time to hike them.  Thanks.  Judo

One of my favorite parts is the Sonora Pass to Echo Lake section.
Early July is a wildflower paradise. I absolutely love flowers and I
was in a state of total rapture the whole time. Even Oprah's
Montecito estate with its 10 million of gallons per year water usage
can't possibly be as well-landscaped as what I saw there.

My number 1 favorite was the section from Castle Crags to Seiad
Valley. I absolutely love Northern California. I did this in early
July. The flowers were amazing. I loved how the trail seemed to hug
the same contour the entire way almost to Etna, never rising or
descending. Interesting lakes, beautiful meadowy places, circling
bowls with lakes down below, precipitous cliffs with incredible trail
work carved in the side -- reminded me of the Sierras. The Marble
Mountains reminded me of Washington. The marble was really
interesting, too. The drop to Seiad Valley is wonderful. Dark, tangly
forest. I really loved this section.

I'll admit to being a total nut, but I really like Section E and I
like doing it during the thru-hiker season, but there are parts of
the section that are probably better in March than May.

The thing I like about Section E is the variety and the flowers. In
May, the Liebres are an enchanted forest with the oaks and the
flowers and green grass below. Down in the Antelope Valley section, I
think March would be best because the desert in bloom is awesome.
There may even be poppies on the hills as you drop into the valley.
But during thru-hiker season the Antelope Valley is fun because of
the energy of the thru-hikers. They congregate at Hikertown and
there's high energy about crossing the desert.