[pct-l] Bikes on the PCT

Dirk Rabdau dirk9827 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 7 14:54:52 CST 2010

I honestly believe that mountain bikes should be kept off the PCT for the simple
reason that mountain bikes are mechanical transport, and therefore  expressly
prohibited by The Wilderness Act of 1964. I think the larger issue here is to
what degree do we preserve wildernesses? Are bikes an infringement upon
wildereness? And if they were to allow bicycles into Wilderness, then by
extension, is it possible other mechanical transport would cite the precedent?

Any change to the interpretation of the Wilderness Act would be
immediaely challenged; there is no doubt in my mind that the mechanical
transport clause would be cited, along with the intent of Congress when it
enacted the law.

Obvioulsy, the entire PCT does not run through sections designated as either
Wildernesses or National Parks. But in an effort for preservation, we, as a
society, do enact lawsto maintain the character of an area. We establish
Wilderness areas, potect hertigate sites, prohibit certain flights over specific
areas, restrict snowmobiling, ban hunting all in an attempt to preserve the
character of our wild lands. Do mountain bikes infringe upon the character of
the Pacific Crest Trail? Are there places where it's worth preserving the
original vision of the founders of the trail?

I honestly believe many would view this as a slippery-slide test case. If the
PCT would allow mountain bike access, what about the thousand of other trails
thrugh wilderness where mountain bikes are already prohibited?  I think most
mountain bikers support the intent and spirit of the Wilderness Act. Anyone who
loves nature wants to see the spirit and integrity of this Act preserved, for
it's one of the few laws that has had the desired effect of protecting America's
treasured places.

Dirk