[pct-l] Gear for late spring snow?

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Mon Nov 8 09:55:08 CST 2010

Mango,

That's seems like a pretty good strategy. My experience with Katoolies is fairly limited, but I found them less than useful. Perhaps I was using them incorrectly. I'd prefer aluminum crampons. Combined with one of those lightweight CAMP axes you'd be well equipped for most any springtime snow conditions on the trail at a very small weight penalty.

YMMV
Gary

---- Jim & Jane Moody <moodyjj at comcast.net> wrote:

Here we go again.  The answers to all your questions are "yes".

I'm an old guy whose only mountaineering experience was at Mtn Ned's Snow School in December.  I have hiked the AT, however, so I wasn't a complete neophyte.

Here's what I did.  I switched from sneakers, aka trail runners, to fairly sturdy boots (Garmont Synchros) at Kennedy Meadows.  I didn't have crampons till after Forester Pass, w hen th e rest of my group told me they thought I was endangering myself and them without them.  I bought a pair of Kahtoolas in Lone Pine , and I'm glad I did.  I wore them infrequently, but when I wore them, they really helped with traction.  By the way, 4 of our group of 6 wore sneakers.  The other wore boots, which were lighter than mine.  If and when I do it again, I will wear boots from Lone Pine (Horseshoe Meadows, south of Forester Pass) to at least Sonora Pass.  They gave me stability on snow (especially on traverses) and on stream crossings.  Yes, th ey got wet.  Yes, they were slow to dry.  So what!   And y es, they froze at night, but when I remembered to loosen up the laces a lot, I could still get them on fairly easily.

As to ice axes, we all carried one north of KM.  A very valuable piece of gear for conditions we faced this year - self-belaying, rudder when glissading, digging catholes, holding up tent lines, self-arrest, etc.  If 2011 is anything like 2010, I definitely recommend carrying your ice axe from south of Forester.  You might also need it in the San Jacintos above Idlewild (Apache Peak, South Peak, Fuller Ridge).

Good luck and have a great hike.

Mango