[pct-l] COLD FOOD

Lawrence Pelo lawrence.pelo at swisslog.com
Mon Nov 8 10:47:48 CST 2010

Brandon, I did a 500-mile, 3-week hike this summer on cold food, and it went fine. Here were my favorites:

M&M's (they don't melt!) and candy bars
jerky
granola
trail mixes and party mixes
bagels
bars, esp. Larabars & ProBars
cookies, esp. Chips Ahoy Chocolate Chunk
Fig Newtons
dried fruit

While it would have been nice to start each day with a cup of hot chocolate, or end each day with a hot meal, I was very happy with the no-cook strategy. I was too tired at the end of the day to fuss with cooking or (especially) cleaning. I could resupply in each town -- no worrying about finding specialty food, or having food mailed to resupply towns, or finding fuel. I was able to find a large enough variety of the above items to keep my palate from getting bored. And, of course, I saved weight and money on stove and fuel. YMMV, HYOH, etc.

Brandon Reed wrote:
I'm gonna starts my hike with cold food options to save the weight on fuel and
stove, plus with the heat, desert, abundance of resupply, and generally just
being more tired in the start of a hike,?I normally don't eat hot meals. I will
mail?my stove?to have later in the trip. Does anyone have any suggestions or
sites to review?for cold food options that wont bore me?by day 2. I can only eat
tuna and candy bars?for so many meals before I start to?go crazy.

This message may contain legally privileged or confidential information and is therefore addressed to the named persons only. The recipient should inform the sender and delete this message, if he/she is not named as addressee. The sender disclaims any and all liability for the integrity and punctuality of this message. The sender has activated an automatic virus scanning, but does not guarantee the virus free transmission of this message.