[pct-l] COLD FOOD/Esbit

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Nov 9 17:12:16 CST 2010

Good afternoon, Shawn,

When I want hot food I often use solid fuel, but only vary rarely is it
Esbit.  I prefer the similar Army trioxane solid fuel tablets because
trioxane does not blacken the bottom of my pot/cup as does Esbit, and at the
surplus store trioxane is much less expensive.  Both – or all chemical fuels
that I’ve used – have their own peculiar smell and I won’t breathe any of
those fumes, nor do I use the stove in a tent.

On an ounce-for-ounce basis I can’t measure any difference in their times to
boil water.  There’s nothing to spill like alcohol, and the tablets can be
broken into whatever size is necessary.

Often I go prepared for dual-fuel:  When using any of my little ultra-lite
alcohol stove set-ups it’s easy to turn the stove over and place a solid
fuel tab on the center of the bottom.  That way if I run out of tabs I can
use alcohol, and vice-versa.

Thanks,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye