[pct-l] Food

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 01:26:52 CST 2010

I learned a wonderful cold oatmeal and nuts breakfast combo from Smiles this
year.  Along with her one pot, she also carried one small Tupperware
container with lid.  After dinner she would set up her next days breakfast
in the Tupperware, which consisted of oatmeal, a good handful of mixed nuts,
and another of dried fruit, and spices such as cinnamon or ginger.  She
added cold water to the container, put on the lid and put it in her bear
box, or hung it from a tree when we were out of bear box domain, and simply
let it soak all night.  By morning it all was soft, sweet and delicious.
I'm still making it at home with rolled barley, wheat and rye.  It's great
with any rolled cereal grain.  The nuts become tender and the fruit sweetens
the whole thing.  It's great with a bit of dried milk, or dried yogurt
powder.  I also do it with hot water, but the key is letting it sit
overnight.

I concur with Gary.  This year, the only time during the whole hike that I
regularly made soup and hot drinks along with dinner was in the dessert. We
were snowed on twice, and I was colder in the desert than later while living
on snow in the High Sierra.  If you think you'll enjoy a hot meal later
crossing the snow, you may also enjoy that same hot meat on a cold desert
night.  The place we didn't really need a hot meal so much was north of
Tahoe up to Sisters in Oregon.  But weather can change, and you may roast in
the desert and freeze in the Trinities.  Who knows.  One person I hiked with
in Oregon and WA carried a very light soda can stove and only 4 to 6 oz of
alcohol.  He routinely ate cold dinners, but for the minimal weight, had the
option for a soup or full hot meal when he felt he needed it.

Shroomer