[pct-l] Garmin Rinos 530

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Nov 10 16:10:09 CST 2010

Manfred,

We knew that the battery packs (whether lithium or alkaline) lasted only 24 hours, so we carried extras (3 in total per radio/GPS). We only had 4 lithium's, so we brought two alkaline's along. We did not recharge along the trail; we had enough stuff to carry, so we just recharged at resupply points (Dow Villa, Winnedumah, Parchers Resort).

We had no need to transmit at 5 watts as we were not that far apart on the snow, just couldn't see each other through the trees or over the curvature of the snow on ascents and descents. Half watt transmissions worked just fine. It was so nice to be able to forewarn those in the back which way to go, what to avoid ahead, and hear how they were doing via the radio. For normal summer hiking, this may be over-kill, but communication is priceless to safety and group security and you don't leave any notes or trail tape behind in the process!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd