[pct-l] Keeping a trail journal

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Nov 12 19:49:34 CST 2010

Miner summed it all up for you pretty well. I don't think you'll find
consensus.

I am not a cellphone kind of person so I used a pencil and small
notepad to keep my journal. I was glad I had a pencil because I had
to swim a few swollen rivers and everything written in pencil
survived while everything written in pen did not.

I also wrote my journal online once a week or so when I got to town.
I wrote everything I could remember. That way I had an online journal
that had highlights and a private journal that had every little
boring detail.

There was less internet access the further north I went so eventually
my online journal got pretty skimpy.

I used trailjournals because I like reading the journals on
trailjournals better than reading the ones on postholer. I've heard
that as a poster, postholer is better but as a reader, trailjournals
is better. It seems true to me, although I've never been a postoler
poster.

At the end of both my hikes, I took my paper journals and my online
journals and combined them and uploaded the contents to lulu.com
where anyone who wanted, mostly myself and my mom and a few friends,
could purchase my trail journal as a bound book. It is really cool to
have it as a bound book.

Diane