[pct-l] stream crossing practice

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 22:59:05 CST 2010

Dear PCT,

Don't EVER fight the current!  Move sideways, perpendicular to the current
or in really swift water just angle yourself to the side.  I'm a strong
swimmer but I know water is always stronger so you just have to work with
the flow and not panic.

The Narrows at Zion is pretty tame, you may want to practice on swifter
water than that.  I had all 5 of my kids hike the Narrows for about 4 miles
in, including my son, who has a heart disability, and he was only 10 years
old at the time.

Melanie