[pct-l] water purification

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Nov 15 20:27:43 CST 2010

On Nov 15, 2010, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Whats better; water purification tablets or a filter system, and
> why? Only
> asking because I cant decide which I want. I have never used a
> filter before but
> I am wondering if it might be better in SoCal section of the PCT. I
> can tolerate
> the taste of Iodine, so that is not an issue. Thanks.

Filter
Pros: No chemicals, can suck water out of a shallow pool, will filter
out the floaties, can drink right away, works on more bugs
Cons: Usually heavier than chemicals, may be difficult to replace/
clean the filter, pumping gets old when you have to do it so much

Chemicals
Pros: Usually lighter than filter, Aquamira has no funny taste, easy
and fast to use (the waiting can be done while you walk)
Cons: You could run out, floatie management not included, Iodine may
be unsafe to consume for 6 months straight, have to wait to drink,
might not kill all germs, have to skip some shallow sources

I choose aquamira myself. I don't think the cons outweigh the pros of
the filter. Aquamira is not iodine.