[pct-l] PCT

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 12:23:14 CST 2010

Most groups of people, even 2 person groups, who started from Campo together
last season did not ultimately stay together.  It was a great way to begin,
but most, even folks who had come from other countries to hike the trail
together, eventually split up over basic trail speed issues.  Once you, or
they, really get your trail legs, it's just hard to slow down day after day
to accommodate the speed, or need for zero days, or injuries and recovery
times, of the others.  I didn't meet anyone who had needed to go it on their
own due to not getting along, but the need to push on for some of us was
paramount.  Folks I really liked just needed more zeros, or a slower pace,
and I felt great just plodding along day after day at my own speed, and so
ultimately hiked with 4 different groups over the summer.  You will meet
such wonderful people who are traveling at your speed, that you will gain
new friends who are worth getting to know.  The different people I hiked
with and became friends with were an important part of the magic.  And there
will be times you want to hike alone, to be with your own thoughts in such
beauty.

Notable exceptions who stayed together were the Israeli Gears, 3 very fast
and strong hikers, Johnny Law and Missing Link, dear friends from childhood,
as well as many married, or "steady partners" who were so committed it
didn't matter how fast one wanted to hike, he or she simply slowed down.
There were others as well, but a common painful point on the trail for many
was when they split up from hikers they thought would be with them to the
end.

If you can, train together with the group you plan to hike with, and have an
understanding that it's OK to split up when and if the time comes.  Most
anyone who stays on trail with find another group to hike with at their
speed if they continue on, and want a group.  Fifteen miles sounds great,
but add some hills or mtns if you can.

Have a great time.

Shroomer