[pct-l] Resupply

Gary Wright at2002 at mac.com
Tue Nov 16 21:40:21 CST 2010

On Nov 16, 2010, at 10:11 PM, Brandon Reed wrote:

> I love this site, there are a plethora of answers for all my questions. I am
> considering between mailing resupplies and buying along the way. I have heard
> both ways and everyone has their own opinions on what is the best way. All I
> want to know is if there are enough towns conveniently located along the way
> with right supplies (i.e. food, first aid, gear, etc.) for me to not have to
> ship 30 resupply boxes? And, which would be cheaper? I have to quit my job to do
> this and will be poor and homeless, so if you see a guy on the trail with a sign
> that says "will hike for food", its me!!!

Yogi's PCT Handbook has got lots of details about resupply options
including detailed resupply notes from a wide variety of hikers.
(www.pcthandbook.com)

I used a hybrid strategy, mostly I purchased food in town.  For
resupply stops where that isn't feasible I would do my shopping in
an earlier town and then mail packages to myself.

For example, I shopped for all my Oregon resupplies while in Ashland.
The same strategy can be done in Cascade Locks for Washington.
Using this strategy allows you to manage your resupply yourself
while hiking instead of relying on someone else to shop and/or mail
packages that you prepared prior to starting your hike.

Radar