[pct-l] Resupply

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 14:05:54 CST 2010

Brandon,  Chuck Chelin offers excellent advice for hikers.
        Since I ride a horse solo and unsupported on the PCT my approach to
resupply is entirely different from anyone elses that I am aware of.  For 2011 I
plan to ride SOBO 500 miles from Sierra City to Horseshoe Meadow. I will not be
going into towns - I prefer to live on the trail and will take my time (allowing
six weeks) and fish a lot and also eat certain wild plants that I am familiar
with to supplement the food that I carry. I have identified seven resupply
locations and will either cache or send my food and processed horse feed via
Priority Mail to each of them:  Priority Mail to T. Meadows, Muir Trail Ranch,
and Ceder Grove.  I will drop off a resupply bucket at Agnew Meadows. I will
cache and also camp when I pick up resupplies at Donner Pass, at a lake
near Echo Summit, and at Sonora Pass. I will be caching as I trailer my horse
north from Agua Dulce to Sierra City.  Then I leave him there in good care
(prearranged) while I drive my rig south to Horseshoe Meadows. Then my wife will
drive me north to Sierra City.  Then saddle up and ride south - - - .

MendoRider/Ed Anderson