[pct-l] Fw: Water purification/shower

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 14:14:00 CST 2010

Hello Mike,
I have also read the book that Hawk Greenway wrote about his ride from Covelo up
into Oregon to visit his mother.  I lived for 34 years just north of the small
village of Mendocino. I knew Hawk's father, Robert Greeenway, who was a very
intelligent and independent poet-type. I believe Hawk was educated at home.  He
wrote the book when he was in his 20's.  He had ridden that journey when he was
about 17 years old.  I recall that Robert had mentioned meeting Hawk once of
twice during his journey.

I also trailered Primo across the Bridge of the Gods.  I had arranged to park
the rig and leave Primo and the horse trailer at a ranch in Cascade Locks while
I drove ahead and checked out the bridge. I decided that it would be very
risky to try to ride across. Then I hiked on the PCT north of the bridge to try
to find a safe place to leave Primo, since I would have to trailer him over the
bridge, leave him and drive the rig north to cache at two locations and park the
rig.  I was lucky to find a residence in about a mile and was able to get
permission.  I was to leave Primo and my tent with all of my tack, saddlebags,
etc. I was again very lucky to get a ride back to Primo from a Back Country
Horseman.  Then I saddled up and rode north on the PCT.  I had to cut out nine
trees in the first few miles as the trail had not yet been cleared for horses.
Most of the hikers take the shortcut via the town of Stevenson.

Shower:  Believe it or not - I can get "really clean" on less than two gallons
of warm water. Here is my approach:  I select a place with a suitable tree
branch more than 100' from any water source.  I hang my solar shower with a very
light weight woven plastic feed sack beneath to stand on. (I use this same sack
to kneel on while cooking, to sit on, and as a pad just outside my tent
entrance.)  I use very little bio-degradable Dove soap (It is oil-based and
helps keep your skin from drying) and start by getting my hair wet. The water
drips down and helps get the rest of me wet. Then I shut the water off. Now I
wash my hair and, using a very thin wet wash cloth,  wash the rest of my body.
Then, I turn the water back on and rinse thoroughly starting with my hair and
working down to my feet. That works for me - I have taken hundreds of showers
that way over the years. I also have a solar water heater (with a thermometer
and a gauge) and a shower in my compact Motor Home. It is my own design and
manufacture. I have sold hundreds of these.

MendoRider/Ed Anderson