[pct-l] TP or not TP

hetchhetchyman at aol.com hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Sat Nov 20 15:46:28 CST 2010

I love Diane (Piper's) term  "Stealth POOP"!
Anyhow about 15 years ago I was a TP using backpacker. I tended to avoid
places in the Sierra, like Rancheria Falls, because of the disgusting collection
of used TP floating about in the wind. I would burn my own TP before burial, Burning reduced but did
not eliminate the TP as well as created the potential for fires. Anyhow that year I met
a long time park employee out on a hike. Somehow we got to talking about TP and she said she no longer used any.
When asked what she did use she produced a small squirt bottle.
Her excellant point regarding this issue
still rings true:
 "If you got Poop on your hand would you be more satisfied wiping or washing it off?"
Anyhow that was the last time I brought TP on the trail.
Now, mind you, when I come across a "comfort station"
outhouse with TP I revert back. But out on the trail.. Not a square to spare!
Anyhow, it seems like on the thru hiker diet Pooping isn't nearly as messy.
I second Piper's suggestion of using wild materials and water to clean up after Pooping.
No TP to carry, or worry about running out of, or getting wet  = freedom.
Stealth Poop! I love it!
-Iceaxe