[pct-l] TP or noTP issue

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 20 19:15:24 CST 2010

I don't know the answer to this question:  Once TP is in a hole and you pee on
it and cover it with, say, 5" of organic soil, does the smell of the urine (it
smells like ammonia) repel critters?  I'm pretty sure it would repel dogs or
coyotes, but what about other animals? Does anyone out there know the answer to
this one?

As I mentioned, I pack my TP out about 50% of the time. Whether I pack it out
really depends on whether I know that there will be a trash can ahead to dispose
of it. Realize that I ride one horse and always have to consider both bulk and
weight just as the hikers do. Since I live on the trail, I cannot simply hitch
into towns as the hikers do. Also, I sometimes even pack out other peoples
trash. Usually it is trash left by day-hikers or overnighters, not PCT hikers.
My decisions on what to pack out will often be influenced by whether I have
knowledge of a trash can near the trail up ahead.  I realize that this is not
something that the hikers have to consider.

MendoRider/Ed Anderson