[pct-l] Ice axe

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 01:07:15 CST 2010

I think it really depends on the weather each year.  If the snow melts
early, no need for an ice axe. But this year we got the snow report on this
website, and at kickoff, and many folks purchased this gear at the last
minute.  I hoped I wouldn't need the stuff until Kennedy Meadows, but bought
it all at kickoff, and just after as the reports were of deep snow, and
little melt off due to an unusually cold spring.  The folks I traveled with
in the San Jacintos in mid May this year all had ice axes and some kind of
traction devices for their shoes, and I don't remember meeting anyone over
that stretch who didn't, although I'm sure some did not.  There was alot of
very icy snow, and Apache Peak and Fuller ridge were among the most
dangerous sections of the entire trail for many of us.   These mtns were
beautiful, and alot of fun, but we used this gear, and were glad of it.

Early in the season, a person traveling with Freebird had ended up using a
pocket knife for self arrest, and cut up his hand pretty badly, and another
person had been evacuated by SAR after a fall on a steep slope, I think
Apache.  I don't think alot of people actually fly with that gear, as most
people I met had their snow stuff sent to Idyllwild so they didn't carry it
until then, and then forwarded it on to Kennedy Meadows for the High
Sierra.  Fuller Ridge especially had long sections of steep snow, and the
ability to anchor uphill with the ice axe shaft really improved our safety
level in my opinion.

Shroomer