[pct-l] Too much clothing!?

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Mon Nov 22 13:08:19 CST 2010

Lisa,

Here are my suggestions.

Keep the mid-wt base layers.  Sleep in them.  Delete either the down jacket or the fleece, or delete both and carry a lighter lined wind jacket, like the Marmot windshirt or equivalent.  It is so flexible in many conditions.

Weigh a fleece balaclava; if lighter or about the same, drop the wool beanie.

Drop the sleep / camp pants.  Use the cap 2's instead.

Switch out the Precip rain jacket for a silnylon rain jacket with hood (pullover, no zipper).  You won't need it very much till later anyway.  The silnylon will be good over the windshirt in sideways rain or strong winds.

You won't be in camp long enough to get real cold - unpack, set up, eat, get in the bag.  You'll be too tired to sit around shivering.

I would take crocs instead of flip-flops.  They stay on better, are more cushiony, and don't absorb water when fording in them.  Weigh about the same.

The best advice is to load it all up and go on a long weekend hike (multiple nights).  Pay attention to what you didn't wear.  Or, sleep out on the backporch in your clothes / bag/ matress / etc. to see if you stay warm enough.

Watch?  I bought a $15 timex wrist watch and cut the rubber / plastic band off.  Carried it in a zippered pocket in my pants.

Good luck.

Mango