[pct-l] Ray Day Pluss

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 23 17:40:55 CST 2010

I have been section and multi-day hiking my way up the trail and will be doing Kings Canyon this year.  I have previously hiked from Muir Pass through to Tuolume Meadows and have always appreciated being able to hike in the snow using the footprints of through hikers who have blazed a trail before me.  This year I will likely be out there a bit earlier than in years past, depending on how much snow there is.  My question is, If June 15th is Ray Day at Kennedy Meadows, when does the first wave of hikers reach Kearsarge Pass and then Muir Pass? I guess I could do the math, number of miles divided by the average number of miles hiked per day.  I am guessing the lead hikers do around 15-20 MPD from Kennedy Meadows to Wallace Creek them maybe 10-15 MPD through this section?  Is that about right or are people hiking strong and going faster than that even in the mountains?

Shepherd