[pct-l] Ray Day Pluss

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Tue Nov 23 18:07:33 CST 2010

On Nov 23, 2010, at 6:40 PM, Amanda L Silvestri wrote:

>  My question is, If June 15th is Ray Day at Kennedy Meadows, when does the first wave of hikers reach Kearsarge Pass and then Muir Pass? I guess I could do the math, number of miles divided by the average number of miles hiked per day.  I am guessing the lead hikers do around 15-20 MPD from Kennedy Meadows to Wallace Creek them maybe 10-15 MPD through this section?  Is that about right or are people hiking strong and going faster than that even in the mountains?

Seems to me that KM to Onion Valley is 5 nights/6 days for most thru-hikers including one day to hike Mt. Whitney:

three days to Crabtree Meadows
one day for Mt. Whitney
two days from Crabtree to Onion Valley

It is another four days to cross Muir pass from Onion Valley:

day 1: Kearsarge + Glenn
day 2: Pinchot
day 3: Mather
day 4: Muir

It is possible to do Pinchot and Mather in a single day but it generally sets you up for a late afternoon attempt of Muir, which sucks if there is still snow.

Radar