[pct-l] Too much clothing!?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Nov 23 21:01:08 CST 2010

Regarding clothing, I wore a long sleeved "desert" shirt and long
pants the entire distance. I just do not feel comfortable exposing my
skin to sun and bugs. I did wear shorts on my last day on the trail
and promptly sunburned my calves.

You can layer your rain pants (I had chaps) over shorts/pants for
added warmth in windy, cold or sleeping conditions. You can do the
same with your rain jacket. Yep, you can use rain gear for warmth!

I usually wore a tank top under my long sleeved shirt, mostly because
it had a built-in bra. I always hoped for conditions where I could go
with just the tank top alone but never experienced such conditions.
In Oregon mosquitoes ate me alive through my long sleeved shirt and I
ended up trading my tank top for a T-shirt from Shelter Cove. The
tank top left my shoulders exposed and the Oregon mosquitoes were
able to bite through my desert shirt. The California ones didn't seem
capable of such oppressive behavior.

Other than what I've mentioned, I also wore a long-sleeved synthetic
shirt under the desert shirt for portions of the trail. I bought this
hideous item at a thrift store in Mammoth and although ugly and full
of runs and other problems, serves me well even to this day.

For jackets I liked having a Houdini and down sweater. Either down or
fleece is good but you won't need both at the same time. I thought I
needed sleeping clothes/long underwear but I sent those home and
never missed them.

When it comes to clothing or virtually any gear, what you can do on
the trail is send items home you don't need. If you are not sure, you
carry them for a while. If you want to try something new but aren't
sure, you carry the new thing and the old thing and then send home
whichever you don't like. The trail becomes a huge gear-testing
experiment! You don't have to have it all figured out. You can figure
out lots of stuff as you go. I changed my mind about virtually every
single thing I brought or believed in.

Diane