[pct-l] my first post: a test. *GEAR*

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 09:26:21 CST 2010

Thank you so much for the input !

i work for Indiana Underground so as my job i walk 12 miles a day right now.  at
work i wear a 22 lb pack (i run a RADAR).  i basically planned on just going
slow and getting used to the trail from mexico to big bear, and then pushing
miles from there.  not going to be one of those 'oh i have to get my 20's in' in
the very beginning.  my wife doesn't work but she's been 'training' on a
treadmill... We're just planning on finding a naural pace and letting our
conditioning adjust, then pushing hard out of wrightwod depending on how early
we are set to get at KM.  we started a 2010 thru hike but we had an attrocious
amount of gear  (think survival camping load out)... and then we got into a
little bit of legal trouble which ate up 3 weeks of our time and 5,000$ in
lawyers fees;  so we decided just to put the wholething off until 2011 and
approach the trail more educated and financially ready.

please note i'm hiking with my Wife;  so 2X neo-airs is one for me and one for
her.  my wife's rainjacket is the arcteryx paclite and it's significantly
lighter, but i do love my MHW Typhoon.  i used to use the MHW Phantom 32
sleeping bag but i've been making Quilts since i was 11;  so i ended up sewing a
high tech one, and we just used it at 22 F and we were plenty warm under it
together.  that's 2lb 2 oz to share, so we save a LOT of baseweight on the MYOG
top quilt.

the neo air and the Z lite weigh the same... and i tried a montbell ultrathin
foam mat and that thing was impossible to sleep on.  i have a few foam rolls
like the ridge rest, but they actuall weigh more than the neo air.  BTW,  our
are the thigh length version.  Actually i saw shroomer useing the neo air and i
bougth one later this year for smaller excursions but after feeling how nice it
was i couldn't resist buying a second for my girl.

i dont have a lot of expirience with the Meta 2P yet... i've used it for a 4 day
trip on the AT and a 5 day trip in michigan and just a few overnighters... but
it's held up to so pretty good storms.  and stays DRY. what i love more about it
is the ENOURMOUS vestibules and the peak height is on either side of the tent
instead of in the middle.  obviously a small tarp would be better, and maybe is
the right choice until idyllwild etc.  but based on how cold the beginning of
2010 was;  i'd like the protection of the tent.  and past there,  it's bug proof
which is kind of nice.

ahh the canister stove issue.  honestly, i've never tried alcohol.  i do like
the idea of it because i realize my kitchen is the last place i have that i can
really shave some weight  (that and my trekking poles; but the mont bell
ultralight poles i keep hearing about snapped poles and with them being my tent
poles i wanted some heft.)  my worry is with cooking for two,  the added fuel
needed for the alcohol almost offsets the weight of the cannister.  that and
'ease of use' of the alcy stove,  it's familiar and comfortable.  i suppose
around the new year i should make an alcohol stove and play with it then decide
closer to april which to take.

How do you guy measure your baseweight?  does it include all your worn
clothing?  if it does not include your shoes or the clothes you wear i can see
us being under ten pounds each as possible,  if we can do that we'll be
laughin'.

thanks again for the reply and advice,

~Paul