[pct-l] bug question

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 16:54:13 CST 2010

Last year the group I traveled with had virtually no bugs in the deserts or
desert mountains, and none in the Southern Sierra until North of Tioga
Pass.  After Northern Yosemite, they tapered off again, and were not a real
problem until the Trinities.  Not bad in the Marbles and north of that until
just south of Crater lake where they got ferocious.   Then they lessened
again after mid Oregon, and were never a real problem in WA.  During the bad
stretches, a head net was great for hiking and in camp at night, and at the
very light weight, a very worthwhile addition.   A few times I put on deet,
but didn't even come close to using up the bottle.

Keep in mind that 2010 was a very cold spring, with cool temps in the
desert, and very little melt off in the Sierra, where we were either on
snow, or not very far below it.  In years of early melt off, I've been eaten
alive in the Southern and Central Sierra.  We expected serious bugs in WA,
which I've experienced in the Cascades in the past, but were so long into
Fall, that the cool nights had shut them all down, and it was quite
pleasant.  Each year will be different, but I'm sure will not detract from a
great adventure.

Have fun,

Shroomer